(Image Credit: Instagram / @Canada_GlobalSumud)
flotilla activists freed

Former Kamloops resident safe in Turkey after detention in Gaza aid mission

May 21, 2026 | 4:59 PM

GAZA STRIP — A former Kamloops resident detained after Israeli forces intercepted a humanitarian flotilla bound for Gaza has now been released.


After several days of uncertainty, Sebastian Tow contacted his family Thursday morning (May 21) from Istanbul, where activists are now getting medical and legal support. While Tow’s family says they’re relieved he’s safe, they state the experience may have only strengthened his resolve.

“At 8:00 am this morning, I picked up my phone and it was him. He had to borrow a phone from a Canadian consular person… He was just emotional to hear our voices. But he just kept saying, ‘I’m okay. I’m okay,'” said Tow’s mother, Anita Wittenberg, speaking to CFJC Today.

Tow was among hundreds of international activists detained earlier this week after Israeli forces intercepted several aid vessels attempting to deliver humanitarian supplies to Gaza.

Wittenberg says the family first learned overnight that detainees were being transferred to Turkey, before finally receiving a phone call from Sebastian himself Thursday morning.

Wittenberg says Sebastian told the family he was not as seriously injured as some of the other activists detained during the operation.

“One of the quotes he said was, ‘Wow, this was like, maybe the best and the worst week of my life,'” added Wittenberg. “Knowing him and knowing the other people, I imagine it after a period of time, it may just fire him up even more to continue.”

She says while some people may remain in Turkey longer to recover, Sebastian is expected to return home once he feels ready. But despite everything that happened, Wittenberg says her son’s commitment to the humanitarian mission remains unchanged