KFR HAZMAT responds to McArthur Island ammonia leak

By Jill Sperling
February 27, 2017 - 4:42pm Updated: February 27, 2017 - 6:50pm
Image Credit: CFJC Today / Jill Sperling

KAMLOOPS — An ammonia leak at the McArther Island Sport and Events Centre was quickly isolated Monday afternoon. 

Kamloops Fire Rescue was called out to the facility after a gauge blew off a valve that a worker was attempting to change. Ammonia began to rush out. 

Fortunately, the toxic gas was isolated to only one area, and there was no need to evacuate the building. 

"It could be a problem if you get it in too high of levels," said Captain Darryl Cooper with Kamloops Fire Rescue. "190, I believe, is the high levels. This was much over that. But, it was isolated to one room, and we had it pressurized with a fan which kept it isolated from the rest of the building. I sent two guys in to shut off the valve, and now it's shut down completely."

Delay in setting trial date for accused in baseball bat beating

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.