Evacuation order lifted for most of Merritt-area mobile home park

By James Peters
May 14, 2018 - 3:24pm Updated: May 14, 2018 - 6:06pm

MERRITT, B.C. — Receding water levels along Guichon Creek have allowed the Thompson-Nicola Regional District to send a number of residents back home.

The evacution orders for all but three units in the Guichon Creek Mobile Home Park have been lifted this afternoon, as well as the orders covering three other properties along Highway 8.

Emergency Operations Centre Information Officer Michelle Nordstrom says preventative work done earlier in the melt cycle has paid off.

"In that area we've been doing a lot of remediation and sandbagging. We've been able to hold off some of the flood waters there, whereas some of the other areas within the City of Merritt boundaries are experiencing higher flood waters that haven't been affected yet," said Nordstrom. 

"(Guichon Creek Mobile Home Park) was one of the earliest areas hit and because the waters are getting lower there and the properties have been protected, that's the reason we're looking at... getting people back home."

The properties will remain on an evacuation alert, meaning residents should be prepared to leave once again in short order.

VIDEO: Marshmallow-masked DJ drops the bass on Merritt