KAMLOOPS — It was a sold out crowd numbering almost 450 people Saturday night for the Kamloops Chamber-TD Bank Business Excellence Awards gala.
The 30th annual event featured a total of 509 nominations and 368 unique businesses nominated.
The President's award was given to CFJC-TV's Boogie the Bridge's founder and organizer Jo Berry, who, along with Boogie, coordinates the Run Club and provides awareness and education for physical involvement on a number of fronts in the community.
The Kelson Group was named Business of the Year, and won the Community Service Award, and Steve Davidson of Kamloops Ford Lincoln won the award for Business Person of the Year. The Small Business of the Year award went to Kamloops Naturopathic Clinic.
Below is the News Release from the Chamber of Commerce with the complete list of award winners.
TD and Kamloops Chamber award top businesses for 2016
At a sold-out crowd of 440 at the Coast Kamloops Conference Centre on Saturday, October 22, the Kamloops Chamber of Commerce and TD presented 18 awards to the winners of the 2016 Business Excellence Awards.
This year marks the 30th consecutive year that the Chamber has held this event for the Kamloops business community.
A record number of nominations were received from the Kamloops community:
A grand total of 509 nominations received
There were 368 unique businesses nominated (166 more than last year)
How winners are chosen:
Winners for 16 of the awards were chosen by an independent selection committee.
The Business of the Year was chosen by the Chamber Board of Directors along with Venture Kamloops.
The President’s Award is given solely at the discretion of the President and is awarded to someone who has made a difference in the community.
The selection committee:
Each of the 16 award categories has 3 industry leaders who choose the winner of that award, for a total of 48 people.
The committees conduct personal interviews with each of the award finalists to determine their winners.
Ryan Scorgie, President of the board of directors for the Kamloops Chamber of Commerce said "“The chamber is very proud of the winners in each award category. Businesses work hard in this community and we love the opportunity to recognize their continuing efforts. Congratulations to all of the finalists and an even bigger congratulation to tonight’s winners.”
“It is a night all of the winners will remember fondly and the Chamber is extremely proud to be part of this exciting time. We appreciate the support from the community and our sponsors of the 30th Annual Business Excellence Awards.”
Jamie McIntyre, TD’s District Vice President, Premiere sponsor of the Business Excellence Awards commented "TD is thrilled to partner with the Business Excellence Awards in Kamloops again this year. As an organization that is committed to helping small business customers invest, innovate and grow, we congratulate the recipients of tonight’s awards.”
This year’s award recipients:
- City of Kamloops Community Service Award – Kelson Group Property Management
- Rocky Mountaineer Environmental Stewardship Award – The Afternoon Auxiliary to Royal Inland Hospital
- BDC Manufacturer Award – Domtar Inc. - Kamloops Pulp Mill
- Venture Kamloops Resource Industry Award – Domtar Inc. - Kamloops Pulp Mill
- Aberdeen Mall Retailer Award 1-10 Staff – Gord’s Appliance + Mattress Centre
- Westland Insurance Group Ltd Retailer Award 11+ Staff – Lyons Landscaping
- Berwick on the Park Service Provider Award 1-10 Staff – Summit Gourmet Meats
- Kamloops Lincoln Service Provider Award 11+ Staff – Hotel 540
- BCLC Technology Innovator Award – iTel Networks Inc.
- TRU Faculty of Adventure, Culinary Arts & Tourism and Tourism Sun Peaks Tourism Award – Rainbow's Roost
- CN Project of the Year – Kamloops Wineries Association
- Coast Kamloops Hotel & Conference Centre Employer of the Year – iTel Networks Inc.
- United Way Not-For-Profit of the Year – St. John Ambulance
- TRU School of Business and Economics Young Entrepreneur of the Year - Danielle Fauteux, All By Design
- KGHM International - Ajax Project Small Business of the Year – Kamloops Naturopathic Clinic
- Excel Personnel Business Person of the Year – Steve Davidson, Kamloops Ford Lincoln
- Community Futures Business of the Year – Kelson Group Property Management
- Kamloops Chamber of Commerce President’s Award – Jo Berry
TD and the chamber congratulate all the winners and thank all of our sponsors for making this event possible for our community.
Family of five loses two members in Williams Lake-area crash
WILLIAMS LAKE, B.C. — The BC RCMP has confirmed two people lost their lives in a three-vehicle...
READ MORE +
Province awards highway maintenance contract for Kamloops area
KAMLOOPS — The provincial government has awarded a maintenance service contract which it says will...
READ MORE +
First Nations call for urgent action on salmon fishery
VANCOUVER — B-C First Nations say they're frustrated over what they call ``inadequate'' strategies...
READ MORE +