File photo. (Image Credit: CFJC Today)
Red Bridge Fallout

Month-long feedback session scheduled as part of Kamloops-Tk’emlúps transportation plan

May 21, 2026 | 10:10 AM

KAMLOOPS — The B.C. government is seeking feedback from residents in the Kamloops area when it comes to improving transportation between the city and Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc. 


B.C.’s Ministry of Transportation and Transit is holding a pair of in-person open houses in Kamloops and Tk’emlúps in June, along with hosting a near month-long feedback form. 

The province notes the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc – Kamloops Transportation Network Improvements Project comes following the loss of the Red Bridge, which burned down during an arson fire in September 2024. 

“What we hear through this engagement, together with input from Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc, the City of Kamloops, and technical, financial and environmental information, will inform the recommended transportation options,” the province states. 

The first open house will take place on Wednesday, June 3, between 2:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. from Moccasin Square Gardens on the Tk’emlúps reserve. The second will follow a week later in downtown Kamloops on Thursday, June 11, from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. in the Kia Lounge at Sandman Centre. 

The province’s feedback form will be active from June 3 to 26. Residents in the Kamloops area can also email their feedback to tk.connection@gov.bc.ca.

On the transportation projects section of its website, the province says an update on the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc – Kamloops Transportation Network Improvements Project will come following the community engagement phase. 

Both Kamloops and Tk’emlúps councils have agreed that a replacement Red Bridge should be one lane in each direction – wider than the old bridge – with a walking path and better lighting. Previously, a conceptual design of the “preferred options” for a new Red Bridge was expected to be release this spring although that timeline was scrapped, with the province saying archaeological, environmental and geotechnical work is scheduled for this spring. 

A Red Bridge replacement was absent from the governing BC NDP’s budget earlier this year. Kamloops-North Thompson MLA Ward Stamer said during a Kamloops council meeting in January 2026 that it could be as many as five-to-seven years before the former wooden truss bridge is replaced.