Chemical scare at TRU science building

By James Peters
March 20, 2017 - 3:40pm Updated: March 20, 2017 - 5:50pm

KAMLOOPS — A Thompson Rivers University science student is recovering after being exposed to a dangerous chemical.

Kamloops Fire Rescue and BC Ambulance paramedics rushed to the lab just after 3:30 this afternoon.

BCAS Supervisor Carl Wassink says the chemical in question was methylene chloride.

"They had a student in the science lab that was exposed to a chemical. We had fire and ambulance respond, and had the patient assessed. We called one of our technical advisors to find out what the chemical was, and how to manage the patient. The patient was de-contaminated," said Wassink.

Wassink says the student was taken to hospital for assessment.

According to the Emergency Response Guidebook, methylene chloride can be toxic if consumed and its fumes can be quite harmful.

Kamloops pizza joint robber makes his own change

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.