Kamloops mother pleased naloxone kits available without prescription

By Chad Klassen
March 23, 2016 - 5:22pm

KAMLOOPS — It was a tragedy that ripped a Kamloops family apart, a horrifying experience they will never forget. 22-year old Ryan Pinneo was a young and athletic Kamloops man who died in January after a fentanyl overdose.

WATCH: Full story by Reporter Chad Klassen
 

The Pinneo's knew in the months leading up to Ryan's death he was struggling with depression and drugs. But they didn't quite realize how bad his addiction was.

Today, the family is relieved to hear the opiate blocker naloxone can now be purchased without a prescription.

"It needs to be available to families. It would not have saved my son, but it needs to be in homes of people struggling. I think it's going to save a lot of lives," said Ryan's mother Sandra Tully.

The last two months since Ryan's sudden death has been difficult for Tully, who found her son slumped over in a chair in his room.

"It's difficult every day, it's difficult, some days I think I can manage and some days it's difficult," said Tully, who's been overwhelmed with the support the family's received from the Kamloops community.

Had the naloxone kits been readily available, Tully would've bought them for Ryan. In fact, she had been inquiring about the antidotes in the months leading up. It might have made the difference. 

"Never did I imagine that I would lose my son," said Tully. "And that's why I think speaking out is really important, and certainly having these kits. If we can save more people and bring awareness, and having the antidote is another way of saving people's lives."

Federal budget gets mixed reviews in Kamloops

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.