Baby saves Kamloops family from carbon monoxide poisoning

By Tanya Cronin
January 20, 2016 - 5:06pm Updated: January 21, 2016 - 12:47am

KAMLOOPS — A Kamloops family is urging everyone to ensure their carbon monoxide detectors are working properly, and to not to delay installing one in your home.

Monique and Kyle Ruppel say if it wasn't for their 15-month old daughter Celia waking up in the middle of the night, they might not be alive.

On Friday, the Ruppel's awoke to the sound of Celia crying and on the way to her bedroom they quickly realized something was wrong.

Monique collapsed and both parents were hit by vertigo, had pounding headaches, burning eyes and baby Celia began vomiting.

The young family was rushed to Royal Inland Hospital, and airlifted to Vancouver immeditally afterwards where they were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning and spent several hours in a hyperbaric chamber.

The Ruppels have replaced their furnace, which was the source of the gas leak and have installed new detectors in their home.

The family is back in Kamloops and are all expected to make a full recovery

EXTRA: We will have more on their story tomorrow (January 21) on CFJC News and take an in-depth look at the importance having carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

Kamloops broadcast legend Rick Arnish retires

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.