Mounties release details on downtown Kamloops standoff

By Greg Fry
September 12, 2018 - 8:45am Updated: September 12, 2018 - 12:14pm

KAMLOOPS — Kamloops RCMP have finally released details regarding yesterday's standoff in downtown Kamloops — the second standoff in as many days.

"Yesterday, Sept. 11, at 3:30 p.m., a female called 911 and threatened violence to herself. Kamloops RCMP attended the residence in the 400 block of First Avenue and established a perimeter around her home," says Cpl. Jodi Shelkie. "An RCMP negotiator made contact with the female. However, she refused to leave her residence."

She says the incident required the assistance of the Southeast District Emergency Response Team (ERT) who took the woman into custody at 8:30 p.m. 

Shelkie says the 50 year old woman, who is previously known to police, is now being assessed at a local medical facility.

"It's unusual that Southeast District ERT has to be deployed two days in a row to Kamloops for essentially the same type of call. In these cases, of a person threatening to harm themselves and then refusing to leave their resident," she says. "This team is trained to deal with these types of situations and are an asset to the district."

On Tuesday, the ERT apprehended a Westsyde man who had barricaded himself inside his home on Oak Hills Boulevard.

That 43 year old man is also being assessed at a local medical facility.

WATCH: Raw video of last night's police response.

Stu Holland decides against running for mayor of Kamloops