Timeline of B.C. terrorist bomb plot

By The Canadian Press
July 29, 2016 - 1:00pm

VANCOUVER — A British Columbia Supreme Court judge ruled Friday that the RCMP entrapped a couple into plotting to set off homemade bombs at the provincial legislature on Canada Day three years ago. Here is a timeline of events in the case of John Nuttall and Amanda Korody:

Feb. 23, 2013: The primary undercover officer involved in the RCMP sting, posing as an Arab businessman, first makes contact with John Nuttall. They reportedly lock eyes in a convenience store near Nuttall's residence. Two days later the officer approaches Nuttall with a request to help him look for his lost niece. Nuttall reveals to him that same day his desire to wage holy war on behalf of Islam.

May 5, 2013: The undercover officer drives Nuttall and Korody to Whistler, B.C., so Nuttall can drop off a hard drive to one of the officer's supposed associates containing an outline of his alleged plot to hijack a Via Rail passenger train on Vancouver Island. During the drive it becomes apparent that Nuttall has not begun work on the document. The three spend several hours in a Whistler parking lot as Nuttall types up an outline. The undercover officer later scolds him for coming up with a poorly researched plan after it's revealed that the targeted rail line stopped operating years earlier.

June 16 to 19, 2013: Officers set up Nuttall and Korody in what the pair believe is a protected hotel room in Kelowna, B.C., where they are told they can relax and work on their terrorist plot in peace. When the primary undercover officer learns Nuttall made no progress on the plan, he chastises him for not being invested enough in his terrorist plot, calling his actions a "sign of disrespect."

June 29, 2013: Nuttall and Korody meet with an undercover officer posing as a high-ranking terrorist liaison. The couple is at first unsuccessful at persuading him to provide C4 plastic explosive for the pair to arm their pressure-cooker bombs but he eventually agrees to help. Nuttall and Korody disguise themselves with headscarves and film a jihadist video, which they intend to have released once their mission is complete. In it they outline their reasons for carrying out the bombing.

July 1, 2013: Nuttall and Korody covertly stash sports bags containing homemade pressure-cooker bombs under bushes flanking the B.C. legislature shortly before 4 a.m. They head to a hotel after taking a ferry back to the B.C. mainland but soon become agitated when news of the explosions doesn't air on television. The two leave the hotel at 2 p.m., and are immediately arrested by police.

Feb. 2, 2015: A jury trial begins on whether Nuttall and Korody are guilty of four counts of terrorism-related offences: conspiring to commit murder, conspiring to place explosives on behalf of a terrorist group, facilitating terrorist activity and possessing explosives on behalf of a terrorist group. The judge later dismisses the third charge of facilitating terrorist activity, citing legal reasons.

June 2, 2015: After nearly three days of deliberations, a jury finds Nuttall and Korody guilty of plotting to bomb the B.C. legislature on Canada Day of 2013. B.C. Supreme Court Justice Catherine Bruce agrees to a request from the pair's lawyers not to enter the convictions until defence has the opportunity to argue that police entrapped the pair.

July 13, 2015: Lawyers begin their arguments in B.C. Supreme Court into whether the RCMP entrapped Nuttall and Korody.

July 29, 2016: B.C. Supreme Court Justice Catherine Bruce stayed the charges against the couple, saying the police undercover operation skillfully engineered the terrorist act committed by Nuttall and Korody.

Geordon Omand, The Canadian Press

An irresistible aroma responsible for mountain pine beetle attacks: research