Niedermayer's sell shares in Kootenay Ice

By Earl Seitz
April 27, 2016 - 4:02pm Updated: April 27, 2016 - 5:55pm

KAMLOOPS — Jeff Chynoweth and his family have made no secret of the fact that they want to get out of ownership of the Western Hockey League Kootenay Ice.

But instead of getting out, the Chynoweth family now owns 100% of the Cranbrook based franchise.

They previously owned 75.5% and have now purchased the remaining 24.5% that was owned by Scott and Rob Niedermayer.

Jeff Chynoweth says they were in discussion to sell their shares to the Niedermayer's a year ago, but it didn't work out.

Now that his family owns 100% Chynoweth says they're committed to keeping the team in Cranbrook next season, but will continue to look for new ownership.

The Ice struggled on an off the ice in the 2015-15 season, winning only 12 of 72 games and with the lowest attendance in one of the smallest markets in the league.

Gropp scores, T-Birds eliminate Rockets in dramatic fashion