Blazers split the weekend in Prince George

By Tim O'Donovan - Kamloops Blazers
November 30, 2015 - 10:50am

► Blazers win 4-3 in shootout over Cougars

The Kamloops Blazers (11-8-3-0) came back from a 3-1 deficit to beat the Prince George Cougars (12-9-1-1) 4-3 in a shootout. 

It was a scoreless first period as the Cougars were the better team. They outshot the Blazers 13-3, but Connor Ingram was terrific in stopping all 13 shots he faced. 

Colby McAuley scored for the Cougars 37 seconds into the second period. He found a rebound to give the Cougars a 1-0 lead. 

The Blazers replied midway through the period as the two teams were playing 4-on-4. Ondrej Vala scored off a rebound from a Collin Shirley shot to make it 1-1. 

The Cougars held a 28-10 shot advantage through two periods, but the two teams were tied 1-1. 

Jansen Harkins gave the Cougars the lead 2:44 into the third period on the power play. 

Chase Witala then made it 3-1 on a shot that squeaked through goaltender Connor Ingramwith just over 10 minutes to play. 

The Blazers looked all but done, but fought their way back. 

Matt Revel found Ryan Rehill, who snuck in from the point, for an open net to cut the Cougars lead to 3-2 with 5:57 to play. 

Dawson Davidson tied the game up 22 seconds later off a rebound from a Collin Shirleyshot.

The game headed to overtime tied at 3-3. 

In the extra frame, the Blazers thought they had won it, but the goal was waved off as the Cougars goaltender was interfered with. 

The Cougars had a great chance to win it, but Connor Ingram made a diving paddle save on Brad Morrison. 

In the shootout, Jake Kryski scored the lone goal and Ingram stopped all the shooters to lift the Blazers to a 4-3 win. 

Connor Ingram was the game's second star with 44 saves on the night. 


►Cougars beat blazers 7-3 in Prince George

The Kamloops Blazers (11-9-3-0) lost 7-3 to the Prince George Cougars (13-9-1-1) on Saturday night in Prince George. 

The Cougars scored two first period goals to take the lead. 

Jansen Harkins shot hit Jared Bethune and deflected past goaltender Connor Ingram for a 1-0 lead midway through the period. 

Kody McDonald made it 2-0 on a terrific one-timer. He took a cross-ice bouncing pass from Sam Ruopp and was able to get a great shot away. 

The Blazers outshot the Cougars 12-8, but trailed 2-0. 

It did not get much better for the Blazers in the second period as goals from Bethune and Colby McAuley was the end for goaltender Connor Ingram. He stopped 14 of 18 shots asDylan Ferguson entered the goal. 

The Blazers got on the scoreboard 27 seconds after the Cougars fourth goal. Ryan Rehill’spoint shot hit Quinn Benjafield and found its way past goaltender Ty Edmonds to cut the Cougars lead to 4-1. 

Brad Morrison made it 5-1 shortly after Benjafield’s goal on a great backhand he lifted over the glove of Ferguson. 

The Cougars took a 5-1 lead into the third period. 

Luke Harrison and Aaron Boyd each scored goals for the Cougars within the first seven minutes of the final period to give them a 7-1 lead. 

Spencer Bast and Dawson Davidson scored towards the end of the game to make it a 7-3 final. 

It was a chippy game, as both teams collected 65 minutes worth of penalties on the night. 

For the Blazers, the loss ended an 11-game point streak in which the hockey club went 8-0-3-0. The Blazers finished the month of November with a 6-1-3-0 record. 

The Blazers will now look ahead to this week as they host the Kootenay Ice on Tuesday, the Portland Winterhawks on Friday and the Medicine Hat Tigers on Saturday.



Blazers trade with Kootenay