NHL denies Golden Knights’ appeal to get draft-pick punishment reduced, AP sources say
NEW YORK (AP) — The Vegas Golden Knights’ appeal to have their punishment reduced for breaking media access rules was denied by the NHL and they will lose a second-round pick in the draft this year, two people with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
The people spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the league had not announced the result of the team’s appeal.
The league on Friday docked Vegas the second-rounder and fined coach John Tortorella $100,000 for what it called flagrant violations of media regulations. Tortorella refused to speak to reporters and the team did not open its locker room following its second-round-series-clinching Game 6 victory at Anaheim on Thursday night.
Announcing the sanctions, the NHL said the Golden Knights had been warned previously about not following media and other policies. They were offered the chance to appeal in person to Commissioner Gary Bettman this week, and that ultimately was unsuccessful in getting the pick back or the fine reduced or rescinded.


