Italy’s foreign minister says divers found bodies of 4 Italians in Maldives sea cave
MALE, Maldives (AP) — Italy’s Foreign Ministry said Monday that rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.
Searches had resumed on Monday after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.
The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.
“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesman.


