Kamloops (Image Credit: CFJC Today)
FIRESMART FUNDING CHANGES

Fire chief concerned provincial changes to FireSmart funding may leave Kamloops high and dry

Feb 13, 2026 | 5:27 PM

KAMLOOPS — The City of Kamloops has utilized FireSmart grant funding over the past several years to help clear up vegetation in green spaces around the community, while also offering grants to homeowners who take the initiative to FireSmart their own homes.

Last year, Kamloops Fire Rescue (KFR) provided free chipping for cedar hedges in a couple of high-risk areas of the city.


KFR has a stated goal of making Kamloops a FireSmart community. That goal, however, is at risk with the government altering the funding model with no consultation from fire chiefs.

“It is a bit concerning to hear now that with the changes coming, we are going to be pitting neighbours against neighbours and who can write the best application and who frame their risk and their need more than their neighbours,” said KFR Chief Ken Uzeloc. “And I think it’s going to be a real challenge.”

The Chief noted every dollar spent on prevention equates to $5-to-$7 saved in response costs. Uzeloc is also worried Kamloops as a larger community may end up on the short end of the stick with a decrease in available funds.

“We managed to get our applications in before the deadline cut off, so hopefully those are evaluated under the old guidelines, but going forward we are really going to have to look at what that means,” added Uzeloc. “The initial indication is vegetation management is not even eligible going forward.”

Vegetation management has been a key piece for Kamloops Fire Rescue, looking to decrease fire risk in places like Strathcona Park and Kenna Cartwright Park.

“The other day we had three interface fires, just the other day in town here,” said Uzeloc. “Not big ones, but still, we are in the middle of February and we are beginning to get them. We are expecting and really planning and preparing for what could be another big wildfire season in our area.”

B.C. Conservative Forest Critic – and Kamloops-North Thompson MLA – Ward Stamer recently spoke with an assistant deputy minister on the issue, noting the impacts could be minimal for Kamloops.

“It looks like there is enough money there to get us through the summer, through this year, and let’s look at making sure those moneys are being allocated for next year,” said Stamer. “Let’s have those conversations, let’s discuss it and not have people – sorry the pun – light their hair on fire, when really there might not be a bunch of wholesale changes, particularly in Kamloops.”

CFJC News did reach out to Forests Minister Ravi Parmar’s office, but was told he was not available for comment on Friday (Feb. 13). The Ministry did however provide a brief statement via email.

“Funding is now moving towards a more holistic provincial approach where mitigation work is done where risk is highest throughout the province, instead of which community has capacity for grant funding,” read the statement from the Ministry. “Communities will continue to be supported and have access to multiple streams of funding to protect against the impact of wildfires.”

“The recent decision to shift to a closed intake model was not made public in advance to preserve the fairness and integrity of the funding administration process and maintain merit-based and equitable access for eligible communities,” the statement continued. “The Province continues to review this work and the funding associated with it to ensure that people and communities are supported and will provide further updates when/as necessary.”

Uzeloc said in Kamloops, KFR may have to get creative if funding is cut. 

“The end goal is people’s homes don’t burn, whatever that spread is. It will be a wait and see, wait and see how much money comes through,” said Uzeloc.