File photo. (Image Credit: CFJC Today)
EOC Update

TNRD spends estimated $5.5 million on Emergency Operations Centre

Aug 17, 2026 | 12:02 PM

KAMLOOPS — The Thompson-Nicola Regional District’s (TNRD) Emergency Operation Centre (EOC) has been busy this summer dealing with the massive wildfires raging in the region.

TNRD Chief Administrative Officer Scott Hildebrand says the regional government has spent millions of dollars so far this fire season, with the price tag expected to grow as the EOC continues its work.

“We’ve probably spent $5.5 million on our EOC. That would be inclusive of agriculture relocation, security staff, signage, barricades, staff support from other local authorities, planning for a resiliency centre — which will be ongoing — safety supplies, office supplies, and even an after-action review that we’re starting to plan,” said Hildebrand.

“The costs and impacts are enormous. Much of our direct financial costs are reimbursed by the province, but there are other costs that are not.”

He added that the cost estimate does not include about half of the agriculture relocation cost, future staffing payroll costs, or TNRD work that has been put on hold.

To date, about 3,500 cattle had been relocated, with 279 ranchers and producers being supported by the TNRD’s EOC.

Since June 16, TNRD staff have collectively spent 3,973 hours working in the EOC.

“The need of EOC staff has been monumental this year and TNRD employees have been pulled from every department in the organization to help,” added Hildebrand.

“Unfortunately, normal operations cannot resume immediately. Staff have certainly been impacted and need a break to take some meaningful time away once we wind down. Fatigue, compounding trauma, burnout and PTSD is a very real reality for TNRD staff who have been in the EOC working with residents and others who have suffered significant hardship and loss.”

The TNRD said staff have conducted 286 rapid damage assessments, with 126 properties recorded to have some level of structure loss.

Of those affected properties, 70 properties have had ‘severe damage’ where residences have been destroyed.

The TNRD has hired a Recovery Manager to provide support over the coming weeks for those who have had structure losses.

So far, about 1,175 TNRD residents have been under an Evacuation Order, with about 4,060 residents having been on Evacuation Alert.

Even with the resources and time spent so far, Hildebrand said the EOC’s work is far from over.

“There needs to be awareness and support for staff as people work through these realities'” Hildebrand said. “With what we have faced together so far, the balance of 2026 will certainly be difficult.”