The Pear Lake fire as pictured on July 25. (Image Credit: Barb Edmonson Firefly Ranch/Facebook)
Pear Lake Wildfire

Planned evacuation of 70 Mile House takes effect as BC Wildfire Service anticipates ‘extreme fire behaviour’

Jul 27, 2026 | 11:43 AM

70 MILE HOUSE, B.C. — (UPDATE 1:00 p.m.): The Thompson-Nicola Regional District’s (TNRD) planned evacuation order for 70 Mile House and the surrounding rural areas is now in effect, as the BC Wildfire Service braces for what it describes as “extreme fire behaviour” on the Pear Lake wildfire.


The evacuation order took effect at 10:00 a.m. Monday (July 27), and it encompassed the community of 70 Mile House and the surrounding area in Electoral Area “E” (Bonaparte Plateau). It added to previously issued TNRD as well as non-TNRD orders in the Village of Clinton, Stswecem’c Xget’tem and the Whispering Pines/Clinton Indian Band.

A subsequent evacuation order was issued at 12:00 p.m. impacting three TNRD additional properties – 7620, 7624 and 7628 Meadow Lake Road, which were previously on evacuation alert.

“The Pear Lake wildfire and Fiftynine Creek wildfire merged as of Sunday and this updated number of properties impacted includes all areas that are under Evacuation Order from both fires,” the TNRD said in a statement.

“If you are in the described area, you must leave immediately. A person must not enter the Evacuation Order area for purposes of residing, occupying, or visiting the area.”

Evacuees from 70 Mile House and area are being told to head to the Emergency Support Services (ESS) reception centre at 4249 18th Avenue in Prince George, instead of the Cariboo Memorial Recreation Complex in Williams Lake as initially advised.

There are also just under 1,000 TNRD properties on evacuation alert due to the Pear Lake fire. The majority – 965 properties – are on the eastern flank of the fire, including the communities of Loon Lake and South Green Lake

The other four properties on evacuation alert on Big Bar Road on the western flank of the fire.

“This Evacuation Alert is in place to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property should it be found necessary. Residents will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to an Evacuation Order; however, you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions,” the TNRD added in its statement.

The Cariboo Regional District (CRD) has two separate evacuation alerts linked to the Pear Lake fire, as well as the now-defunct Fiftynine Creek fire. Approximately 610 CRD properties are on alert as outlined here and here.

The Bonaparte First Nation has also issued evacuation alerts for IR #1, IR #2 and IR #3 due to the potential threat posed by the Pear Lake fire. A total of 89 properties are covered by the Bonaparte alert, which was issued on Saturday.

The CRD also has evacuation orders and alerts in place due to the 283 square kilometre French Bar Creek fire which is also part of the so-called Big Bar Complex. For the latest on CRD evacuation orders and alerts, go here.

The BC Wildfire Service expects unfavorable weather to continue posing challenges to firefighting efforts on the Pear Lake fire, with some growth also expected on the French Bar Creek fire.

“With the dry conditions returning and stronger wind it is likely that we will see extreme fire behaviour and column development. We are anticipating increased growth on these incidents,” the BC Wildfire Service said in an online update.

“Fuels remain heavily impacted by drought throughout the area and are highly susceptible to increased fire behaviour.”

The BC Wildfire Service notes the fire has crossed over a stretch of Highway 97, which remains closed to traffic, and that it would require repairs. The BCWS added structure protection crews are working on triage and value protection where they anticipate fire growth.

“Along the southeast flank of the fire where it is burning around the Village of Clinton, structure protection personnel and firefighting crews are focusing on structure defense,” the BC Wildfire Service said. “Crews are working off of Highway 97 on the southeast corner of town where machine guard has been established and crews our mopping up to extinguish the fires edge.”

“Crews and heavy equipment are establishing machine guard between the fires edge and the Village of Clinton, where the fire has yet to burn into the interface area.”

– With files from Elora McCormack/CFJC Today