Kamloops Centre MLA Peter Milobar responds to budget (Image Credit: BC Legislature/YouTube)
BC BUDGET DAY

‘Very disappointing there was nothing new’; Kamloops MLA Milobar responds to BC budget

Feb 17, 2026 | 4:16 PM

KAMLOOPS — As the provincial budget was being presented in Victoria Tuesday (Feb. 17), those in Kamloops were searching for any new funding coming the way of the Tournament Capital. In recent years, Kamloops has been advocating for design changes at the yet-to-be-built cancer centre, a new sobering centre in the city and capital funding for new schools throughout the community. 


The word ‘Kamloops’ appeared six times in the 186-page provincial budget document. Five of those mentions where directly tied to the already funded Kamloops cancer centre which, according to the budget, is still expected to open in 2028 and remains on budget at $386 million.

While there has been a strong push to bring a PET/CT to the cancer centre, there was no mention of a project scope change in the document.

“Very disappointing that there was nothing new,” Milobar told CFJC News. “I’m happy the cancer centre wasn’t removed, and I say that because there are six long-term care homes that were previously announced that now have a question mark next to whether or not they are even going to proceed or not, as well as phase two of the Burnaby hospital redevelopment. This government is in deep, deep trouble financially.”

As for the school district, no new funding was uncovered in 2026 budget. While Snine Elementary School is on track to open in September, with no additional cost increases above the $65 million budget, there was no sign of dollars for the district’s top capital priority – a Batchelor Heights elementary school – or even anything on a secondary school for Aberdeen.

Those in Kamloops will also be directly impacted by changes to the homeowner grant.

“There was an extra $200 homeowner grant to people in the Interior and the north. That has been removed in this year’s budget, so everyone in Kamloops and area will pay an extra $200 on their property taxes this year. In terms of seniors, the changes to the income tax will hammer those who are on pensions and impact them,” said Milobar.

The budget, which is a three-year plan, also included no new funding for improvements along the Highway 5 corridor. 

Milobar also noted there was no mention of a replacement for the Red Bridge, which is a provincial asset.

“It’s a very big concern. I met with a bridge engineer about a different matter. He was filling me in and telling me about the work they did replacing the bridges on the Coquihalla when is washed out. I asked him about the Red Bridge and he said he should have been 18 months from start to finish. And so that is a bridge engineer speaking, not me, and now instead we are hearing seven years out of this government, if ever,” said Milobar.