KAMLOOPS, B.C. — Needles, affordable housing, and wildfires.
Those are just some of the issues Kamloops city council has raised while at the UBCM conference in Vancouver this week.
"We've had very good meetings with provincial ministers," acting Mayor Arjun Singh told CFJC Today Wednesday. "Obviously 15 minute meetings don't lend themselves to a resolution right away but we've made the Province aware of our issues."
He says one of those issues concerns this year's wildfires and the Province's plan to automate the evacuation registration process. Singh says the issue was of particular interest to Kamloops and the City of Prince George.
"We'll be hosting some debriefs and reviewing our wildfire response and find out what was good and look at things we had gaps with and learn what we can improve on."
Singh says he also raised the issue of a provincial strategy on needles.
"Yes, and though the minister didn't make any commitments one way or the other I know she heard our concerns and I look forward to following up with her in the weeks and months ahead....perhaps it will lead to funding for needle disposal boxes."
He says he also left a meeting with Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing Selina Robinson feeling optimistic when it comes to affordable housing.
"We'll essentially get some of the 2,000 modular units they're putting out for short-term units so we'll have to work out some land issues locally. So, hopefully it'll happen quickly."
Singh expects the issue of pot legalization will come up later this week. The UBCM conference wraps up Friday.
Four Paws continues to foot vet bills for dozens of wildfire families
KAMLOOPS — The wildfire season may be over but support continues for pets and their owners affected...
READ MORE +
Body found on rural property near Vernon ‘suspicious’: police
VERNON, B.C. — Police say human remains have been discovered on a rural property north of Vernon....
READ MORE +
Residents forced from homes due to ammonia leak in Fernie, B.C. allowed to return
FERNIE, B.C. — Residents who were forced from their homes because of a deadly ammonia leak at an...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.