Man accused in crash that killed B.C. Mountie gets three-week court delay

By The Canadian Press
April 6, 2017 - 5:19pm

VICTORIA — The case of a man facing charges for a crash that killed an RCMP officer on Vancouver Island has been delayed.

A provincial court judge in Victoria has granted a three-week delay so lawyers on both sides can work on an agreed statement of facts.

Const. Sarah Beckett died last April when her police cruiser was broadsided by a pickup truck in a Langford intersection.

Kenneth Fenton is charged with impaired driving causing death, flight from police, and dangerous driving causing death.

His lawyer, Dale Marshall, says both defence and Crown prosecutors asked for the delay and that no decision has been made about a possible plea.

The case is due back in court on April 27.

A trial was previously delayed while the Independent Investigations Office looked into the actions of another RCMP officer who was chasing the vehicle that hit Beckett’s cruiser.

That investigation is now complete and the office has forwarded a report to Crown counsel for consideration of charges possible charges against the officer. (CFAX)

The Canadian Press

B.C. ombudsman says health firings were wrong, wants to close ‘dark chapter’

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.