KAMLOOPS — Fifteen-month-old Celia Ruppel is being credited with saving her life, the lives of her parents, and the family’s several cats and dogs after carbon monoxide filled their Kamloops home.
It happened last Friday when the toddler woke in the middle of the night, crying and alerting her parents, who quickly realized that they, Celia and the pets were at the point of collapse.
WATCH ABOVE: Video report by Tanya Cronin
Celia’s mother, Monique, said her daughter was crying and then began to vomit and she knew something was really wrong when she looked down at the cat passed out on the floor.
Kyle Ruppel said both he and his wife had horrible headaches, were dizzy and had burning eyes. He said he got his family and the pets out of the home and called for help. At first, the family was taken to the nearby Royal Inland Hospital in Kamloops
“From there, our doctors consulted with Vancouver General and the hyperbaric chamber specialists and they decided to airlift us down and we did three sessions in the hyperbaric chamber,” he said.
Ruppel said the doctors told him that if Celia hadn’t started crying, they probably would have made the news for all the wrong reasons.
“So if it wasn’t for her waking up and getting our attention it could have been a lot different story. She’s pretty small and doesn’t understand what happened yet, but I’m sure one day we’ll have to explain it to her.”
The family’s home now has a new furnace to replace the old one that pumped the deadly, odourless gas throughout the house.
Kyle Ruppel said his family’s experience shows that all property owners need to install carbon monoxide detectors.
Firefighters in the suburban Victoria community of Langford echo the advice, noting they have responded to six carbon monoxide calls in the last two months.
In each case they say it was a detector that warned residents to get out, but in two of the calls an occupant of the home still needed treatment for carbon monoxide poisoning.
— With files from The Canadian Press
Mother makes emotional plea for information on missing son
KAMLOOPS — It has been four days since Ryan Shtuka mysteriously disappeared in Sun Peaks. The 20...
READ MORE +
Traffic engineer looking at traffic solutions at Westmount Elementary
KAMLOOPS — It's been an issue for years, but with higher enrolment and more kids being driven to...
READ MORE +
Kamloops MLAs blast 'tax and spend' NDP budget
VICTORIA — Kamloops BC Liberal MLAs Todd Stone (Kamloops-South Thompson) and Peter Milobar (...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.