UPDATE: Barriere family of five in serious, stable condition after carbon monoxide leak

By Ashley Legassic
December 6, 2018 - 10:53am Updated: December 6, 2018 - 5:23pm

BARRIERE, B.C. — A family of five in Barriere is proof of how important carbon monoxide monitors are.

Barriere Fire Chief Ashley Wohlgemuth says emergency crews arrived to a downtown Barriere home at roughly 7:30 a.m. this morning (Dec. 6), after a report of a carbon monoxide leak.

Wohlgemuth says a family of five was all out of the home by the time crews arrived.

"They did have a carbon monoxide detector in their home," Wohlgemuth says. "When we arrived everyone was conscious and in an ambulance already."

BC Emergency Health Services has tweeted that the family was taken to Vancouver via air ambulance, and they are in serious but stable condition.

Wohlgemuth says the suspected leak was confined to one home, and stresses the importance of having carbon monoxide detectors.

"It is a big reminder to everyone to make sure they have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors in their homes, especially at this time of year we start using other heating sources, so it's very important to have these in your home," she says.

 

Vernon RCMP seize numerous weapons, but no charges laid