KAMLOOPS — Kamloops Mounties are looking for a man who allegedly tried to lure an 11 year old girl in front of a school in Westsyde.
RCMP Cpl. Jodi Shelkie says the alleged incident occurred yesterday between 2:30 and 2:50 p.m. in front of David Thompson Elementary School.
"A man approached her and said he was there to pick her up," she says. "The student challenged him by asking what her mom's name was, the male wasn't able to provide a name and said he worked with her dad and had been asked to pick her up. The male was not able to provide her dad's name either when asked by the student."
Shelkie says the man walked away without touching the girl or making any attempts to grab her. He then walked to an older dark burgundy Chevrolet truck with two doors and extra seats in the back. The vehicle also had a matching coloured canopy with some scratches and rust on it. The licence plate number was not obtained.
The girl then went into the school and called her mom to report what happened.
The male is described as:
- In his 20's with a lip and eyebrow piercing
- Clean shaven with dirty blonde shaggy length hair
- Wearing tighter blue jeans that rode low on his waist, a dark shirt and red flat-brimmed hat
- He had a chain on his pants, presumably connected to his wallet
Anyone who may recognize the man or witnessed the incident is asked to call police at 250-828-3000.
Police are also urging parents and caregivers to speak to kids about safety precations, including:
- Being aware of their surroundings and noting suspicious people or vehicles and report them promptly to teachers and parents
- Not approaching a vehicle if you don't know the person inside
- Not talking to strangers
- Walking with a friend if possible
- Having a code word or phrase to be used if parents must send an unknown person to pick up their child
New wildfire breaks out north of Savona
KAMLOOPS —UPDATE — BC Wildfire Service crews are at the scene of a new wildfire sparked northwest...
READ MORE +
Hundreds of cleanup kits shipping out to flood victims in Grand Forks
KAMLOOPS — Hundreds of Grand Forks residents were permitted to return to their home this past...
READ MORE +
Freeland plays down Trump assertion Canada being 'difficult, spoiled' on NAFTA
OTTAWA — U.S. President Donald Trump says Canada and Mexico are "spoiled" and difficult to deal...
READ MORE +