Disney/Pixar's Coco easily took the number 1 slot at the box office with $26.1 million this week. Coco is 9% behind Moana, another Disney release that landed the week after Thanksgiving last year.
Observers say Coco will own the box office next weekend as well, as no major studio releases are planned.
- Small indie films considered major awards contenders did well too, including Fox Searchlight's The Shape of Water ($83K per theater at two NYC locations), Sony Pictures Classics' Call Me by Your Name (with a $70K theater average in its second weekend) and The Disaster Artist, bringing in $1.2M on 19 venues or $64K per theater.
- Relish Mix noted that The Disaster Artist is dominating the four social networks, with a SMU (Social Media Universe) of 196M views supplied in large part with 43M YouTube views and strong daily views averaging 42K per day for the top 5 videos.
CHECK IT OUT:
Top 10 Movies at the Box Office, Per Deadline:
1.) Coco (DIS), 3,987 theaters / Fri: $6.3M (-67%)/ 3-day cume: $26.1M (-45%)/Total:$110.4M / Wk 2
2.) Justice League (WB), 3,820 theaters (-231)/$4.5M Fri/ 3-day cume: $15.8M (-61%)/Total: $196.5M/ Wk 3
3.) Wonder (Lionsgate), 3,449 theaters (+277) /$3.6M Fri/3-day cume: $13.2M (-42%)/ /Total: $88.7M/Wk 3
4). Thor: Ragnarok (DIS), 3,148 theaters (-133) / $2.3M Fri/ 3-day cume: $9.36M (-44%) / Total cume: $291M / Wk 5
5) Daddy's Home 2 (PAR), 3,403 theaters (-115) /$2.1M Fri/ 3-day cume: $7.45M (-44%)/ Total: $82.8M/Wk 4
6) Murder on the Orient Express (FOX), 3,201 theaters (+49)/ $2M Fri/ 3-day cume: $7M (-47%)/Total: $85M/ Wk 4
7) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, MO (FSL), 1,430 theaters (+816) / $1.4M Fri/ 3-day cume: $4.5M (+2%) /Total: $13.6M /Wk 4
9). Lady Bird (A24), 1,194 theaters (+403) /$1.2M Fri/3-day cume: $4M (0%)/ Total cume: $16.6M / Wk 5
10.) The Star (SONY), 2,822 theaters (-15) /$874K Fri / 3-day cume: $3.8M (-45%)/Total:$27.1M/Wk 3