Blake Lively graces the cover of Glamour and inside, she opens up about her life, marriage and politics.
While fans may see Lively's career, marriage to Ryan Reynolds and motherhood to two gorgeous little girls as an example of, well, perfection, the A-Lister insists it's anything but. She tells Glamour that she and Reynolds are essentially retiring, quiet types.
- “We’re really shy people who express ourselves best when we’re acting, when we’re hiding as someone else," Lively tells Glamour. "So the fact that very shy people have to share that shy person with the world-and are sometimes hurt by it-it’s very weird emotionally.” Still, she notes that these are “champagne problems.”
- It took the presidential election in 2016 to make her "more aware" of the issues many people face in their daily life.
- The 29-year-old explains: "It made me more aware, more conscious, more sensitive. Not just of sexism but of discrimination in all areas-class, gender, race. I had realized that there were problems [before].”
- Lively is using her celebrity to tackle one especially pervasive issue that troubles her: child trafficking. She explains: "I so appreciate the purity of my own childhood, and the idea that a child doesn't have the opportunity to be a child is devastating.”
- Luckily, it seems Lively has a true partner in life and love. She gives her husband props for standing up for women in general and their own girls in particular. "[W]ith my husband, I'm lucky to have someone who is so conscious. My husband was like, ‘Why do I always say he?’ And I said, ‘That's what we're taught’....Or we've joked that my daughter is bossy. But my husband said, ‘I don't ever want to use that word again. You've never heard a man called bossy.’"
- Glamour's September issue hits newsstands August 8th.