Actor John Heard, best known for his role as Macauley Culkin's dad in the Home Alone movies, has died at age 71.
His body was discovered in a hotel room on Friday near Stanford Medical Center in Palo Alto, where he had recently undergone back surgery.
- Heard was also beloved for his role as Tom Hanks' co-worker in the 1988 comedy Big and as a corrupt cop in HBO's The Sopranos.
- He received an Emmy nomination for his guest starring role in the Sopranos. He had numerous other movie and TV show appearances, including guest roles in the CSI franchise.
- He got his start as a successful theater actor before transitioning to film in Big. Later in his career, he had a hard time shaking off the iconic Home Alone role and in 2015, he told the AV Club that he hoped appearing in Sharknado would do the trick.
- “This is going to be a huge hit,” he said of the film. “That is going to put to rest the Home Alone dad image.”
- Heard was married three times. He and Superman actress Margot Kidder were married in the late 1970s, then he was married to Sharon Heard between 1988 and 1996 and then finally, to Lena Pritchard, for less than a year in 2010.
- Heard shared two children with Sharon, Max and Annika, and a son named Jack with the Oscar-winning star Melissa Leo.