KAMLOOPS — Kamloops Mounties are looking for a man who allegedly tried to lure an 11 year old girl in front of a school in Westsyde.
RCMP Cpl. Jodi Shelkie says the alleged incident occurred yesterday between 2:30 and 2:50 p.m. in front of David Thompson Elementary School.
"A man approached her and said he was there to pick her up," she says. "The student challenged him by asking what her mom's name was, the male wasn't able to provide a name and said he worked with her dad and had been asked to pick her up. The male was not able to provide her dad's name either when asked by the student."
Shelkie says the man walked away without touching the girl or making any attempts to grab her. He then walked to an older dark burgundy Chevrolet truck with two doors and extra seats in the back. The vehicle also had a matching coloured canopy with some scratches and rust on it. The licence plate number was not obtained.
The girl then went into the school and called her mom to report what happened.
The male is described as:
- In his 20's with a lip and eyebrow piercing
- Clean shaven with dirty blonde shaggy length hair
- Wearing tighter blue jeans that rode low on his waist, a dark shirt and red flat-brimmed hat
- He had a chain on his pants, presumably connected to his wallet
Anyone who may recognize the man or witnessed the incident is asked to call police at 250-828-3000.
Police are also urging parents and caregivers to speak to kids about safety precations, including:
- Being aware of their surroundings and noting suspicious people or vehicles and report them promptly to teachers and parents
- Not approaching a vehicle if you don't know the person inside
- Not talking to strangers
- Walking with a friend if possible
- Having a code word or phrase to be used if parents must send an unknown person to pick up their child
Heavy snowfall brings warnings to Southern Interior, highways
KAMLOOPS — The forecasted blast of wintry weather has arrived in Kamloops, and snowfall warnings...
READ MORE +
Accused in 2014 KRCC murder has first court date
KAMLOOPS — The man arrested this week in a 2014 homicide at Kamloops Regional Correctional Centre...
READ MORE +
B.C. to appeal NEB ruling on Trans Mountain bylaw
VICTORIA — British Columbia's government is appealing a decision that allows Kinder Morgan...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.