Hazardous materials being removed ahead of Daily News demolition

By Jill Sperling
July 26, 2017 - 3:00pm Updated: July 26, 2017 - 6:29pm

KAMLOOPS — The first stage of tearing down the old Daily News building is underway. 

The building at 4th Ave. and Seymour St. has sat empty since 2014. In April of this year the city decided to begin the bidding process for demolition. 

The tear-down has now begun, with crews working to remove hazardous materials from the building's interior. 

"The start of the Daily News demolition begins with the contractor working inside and dealing with the hazardous building materials," said Public Works and Utilities Director Jen Fretz. "Mostly that has to do with asbestos, so asbestos removal is happening this week and next week." 

The city awarded the nearly $500,000 demolition contract to Dakota Reclamators late last month. 

The actual building demolition is expected to begin in early to late August, and will clear the way for a $600,000 parking lot. 

"The way that the contractor is intending to take the building down is essentially in pieces, the idea being that those pieces will get ground up with the excavator bucket, and put back in the hole, which is saving the city significant costs, because then we're not trucking that material offsite and then trucking new material in," Fretz said. 

Motorists currently parking in the lot adjacent to the Daily News building have been notified of the upcoming demolition, and will be required to park elsewhere to avoid damage to their vehicles. 

However, these same motorists will be the first to be notified of the new parking lot's completion. 

Wildfire erupts near Monte Lake, B.C.

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.