KABUL — Militant attacks, including a Taliban assault on an Afghan military outpost, and a roadside bombing elsewhere in Afghanistan killed at least eight soldiers, seven civilians and a policeman, officials said Tuesday.
Also in Kandahar, three civilians died when their tractor hit a roadside bomb on Tuesday, said Samim Khpolwak, spokesman for the provincial governor. The explosion in Maiwand district also wounded four other civilians, he said.
The Taliban did not immediately release any statements on the Kandahar attacks.
In western Baghdis province, a Taliban assault early Tuesday in Muqur district, killed one policeman and triggered a gunbattle that also left 11 insurgents dead, said provincial Governor Anwar Ishaqzai.
A Taliban statement claimed they captured the district's army and police headquarters but the governor denied the claim. The Taliban have stepped up their attacks since announcing their spring offensive last month.
Meanwhile, in eastern Nangarhar province, four civilians were killed and 13 were wounded in crossfire during a battle between Afghan security forces and insurgents late Monday night in Bati Kot district, according to Attullah Khogyani, spokesman for the provincial governor.
The spokesman said Afghan forces launched an operation against the militants, killing four.
Along with the Taliban, an Islamic State affiliate has also been active in Nangarhar.
The Associated Press
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.