KAMLOOPS — An early morning house fire on the North Shore was quickly knocked down by Kamloops Fire Rescue.
The call came in around 5:15 for a structure fire in the 200 block of Oak Road.
When firefighters arrived on scene one occupant of the home was in the basement looking for a pet, but no injuries have been reported.
WATCH: Full report by Jill Sperling
While there is no official word on the cause of the fire, Captain Darryl Cooper says there are some clues.
"There was a report of an explosion on the front stairs before fire crews arrived," Cooper said. "Witnesses are saying that's where the fire started. Firefighters found fireworks inside the building that were going off during the fire."
Cooper says the home suffered significant damage.
"The main floor is a write-off ... the basement is virtually untouched, a little bit of water damage in the basement, but the main floor would be a write-off."
The fire was snuffed out before 6 a.m. RCMP are investigating the blaze.
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.