Kamloops Fire Rescue determines cause of McBeth fire

By James Peters / Chad Harris
August 31, 2016 - 12:10pm Updated: August 31, 2016 - 2:46pm

Kamloops Fire Rescue officials say a fire that destroyed a townhouse unit on McBeth Place in the West End early yesterday morning started in the kitchen.

Inspector Ray Webster says occupants of the unit were deep-frying on the stove.

Webster says when flames popped up, the occupants tried to smother the fire with a blanket that caused the flames to spread quickly.

"It started in the kitchen, it was a grease fire, cooking fire. Unfortunately it quickly spread through the entire unit. There were multiple people in the unit at the time and everybody got out safe, which is great. The fire did spread to one of the neighboring units with minimal damage to it," explained Webster.

"Definitely there is a lesson, if you open a pot lid, and there is fire underneath, replace the pot lid. Do not try to smother it or extinguish it with water. The best case is to replace the pot lid, and it will remove the oxygen and most likely put the fire out."

Webster says the entire unit was gutted, and there is some minor damage to a neighbouring unit.

"The neighboring unit has some smoke damage and a little bit of fire damage at the front. It won't take too much work to get them back in." 

No one was injured in the blaze.

Mothers share stories of loss on International Overdose Awareness Day

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.