Fire engulfs apartment unit on McBeth Place

By Chad Harris
August 30, 2016 - 1:13am Updated: August 30, 2016 - 12:27pm

KAMLOOPS —Firefighters made quick work of a large structure fire in the city's West End early this morning.

Fire Rescue crews were called shortly after 12:45am to the College Heights apartments at 643 McBeth Place.

Upon arrival it took crews only a few minutes to extinguish a large portion of the flames.

Firefighters on scene confirm everyone made it out of all the units safely, and there are no injuries.

KFR spokesman Geoff Bell says one unit where the fire broke out sustained most of the damage, but the units on either side also sustained significant smoke and water damage. He says when crews got there, flames were coming out of most of the windows in the unit. 

Witnesses told CFJC Today the fire was caused by grease, and Bell says that's the way it looks to them too. He says the residents were apparently doing some cooking, and the fire got away on them. He says they did the right thing, got out of the building, and made sure other nearby units were alerted as well. 

 

Tense situation unfolds at Iron Mask trailer park

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.