VANCOUVER — Two men have been charged in connection with an alleged sexual assault on the University of British Columbia campus.
The charges come after University RCMP responded to a report of a break and enter at a home in a residential neighbourhood on campus early Saturday morning.
RCMP said Sunday a 28-year-old man who lives in the university area has been charged with break and enter and three counts each of sexual assault causing bodily harm, forcible confinement and robbery.
The man was also charged with wearing a mask with intent to commit an indictable offence.
A 23-year-old Vancouver man has been charged with break and enter to commit robbery.
Sgt. Annie Linteau said the victims and suspects were not known to each other and investigators are ensuring the victims receive support.
She said the investigation is continuing and it’s too soon to say whether the alleged attack is connected to other suspicious incidents on campus.
“Anyone who may have seen anything suspicious around the time the complaint was received is asked to contact University RCMP,” she said in a statement.
Police have previously said the sexual assault of a 20-year-old woman on campus in March may have been connected to a series of “night prowler incidents” where a man was seen lurking in bathrooms and bedrooms at UBC residences.
The university issued a safety alert to faculty, staff and students on Sunday, warning that despite the arrests, it’s still important to be vigilant about one’s surroundings.
The message signed by Louise Cowin, vice-president of students, reminded people not to prop open exterior doors or windows in residential buildings or hold the door open for strangers.
“We realize the recent incidents of voyeurism and sexual assault have been unsettling to the community and we share your concerns,” Cowin said in the message.
“UBC will continue to work with the police, Campus Security and other campus community partners to continuously look for ways to improve the safety of students, faculty and staff on campus.”
The Canadian Press
Months-long RCMP investigation takes down Red Scorpions in Kamloops
KAMLOOPS — Kamloops RCMP say a months-long investigation has put a big dent in the local drug trade...
READ MORE +
Construction to go ahead on Site C dam, but cost soars to $10.7 billion
VICTORIA — The Site C hydroelectric dam will be completed with the backing of ...
READ MORE +
Sunday night stabbing in Kamloops may have been case of mistaken identity
KAMLOOPS — A Kamloops man is recovering after he was stabbed in what may have been a case of...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.