KAMLOOPS — Kamloops council begins sorting out the future of North Kamloops recreation facilities this evening (March 3).
The first in a series of public information meetings will be held at Arthur Stevenson Elementary School in Westsyde.
WATCH: Full story by Reporter Jessica Lepp
It's a conversation that was kick-started by council mulling the future of the Westsyde Pool, which needs a new roof, and may require millions of dollars in tax subsidies to keep it going.
Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Services Director Byron McCorkell says it's time to discuss whether a multi-purpose facility located at McArthur Island would be a better use of tax dollars.
"We need to fix the roof, we're going to put a whole new roof structure on there, but does it make sense then to make that our only secondary pool, or do we talk about what we know we are going to need as the community gets to be 100,000 population," said McCorkell. "We think now is the time to talk about it, and maybe now is the time to make the transition."
Steve Delaney is the president of the Westsyde Community Development Society.
He says the vast majority of Westsyde residents want the pool to stay in operation, rather than being replaced with a hard surface gymnasium floor.
"From polling people, I would say that 80 per cent of the community really wants the pool fixed, they want to be able to swim out here, they don't want to travel into McArthur Island to a pool," Delaney said. "The other 20 per cent they're a little bit concerned about property tax increase and they would like to see the dry court considered as an option."
If you can't make it to this evening's meeting, there are three more scheduled in the coming weeks, each from 7pm to 9pm at the respective locations.
March 3 - Arthur Stevenson Elementary Gym
2890 Bank Road
March 7 - Parkcrest Elementary Gym
2170 Parkcrest Ave
March 9 - Norkam Secondary Cafeteria
730 12 St
March 15 - Sandman Centre
300 Lorne Street
Mudslides close Highway 1 from Bridal Falls to Hope
KAMLOOPS — Highway 1 was closed from just east of Bridal Falls to Hope on Thursday morning, after a...
READ MORE +
Above average temperatures in Kamloops expected to last through the weekend
KAMLOOPS — Kamloopsians can expect to continue to enjoy higher than average temperatures through...
READ MORE +
One stop shopping for entrepreneurs at Kamloops conference
KAMLOOPS — It was a day for local business people to network and make new contacts at the second...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.